Hidalgo County Property Tax Rate
As noted, property taxes in Hidalgo County are among the state’s highest, usually ranking seventh. The average effective Hidalgo County property tax rate is about 2.03%. However, as is often the case, specific cities can be even higher due to additional levies and school district rates. For instance, the county’s largest city, McAllen, TX, has an average rate of around 2.23%. Hidalgo County tax rate information is also posted on the county website so residents can stay up to date.
Comparing the Hidalgo County Property Tax Rate
While Hidalgo County property tax rates are high, they’re not the highest in Texas — though McAllen itself is in that range. Compared to other counties’ property taxes, Hidalgo County is lower than Tarrant County (2.16%) and Harris County (2.09%), but higher than:
Resources & How to Pay Hidalgo County Property Taxes
Whether you need information about your bill or you’re ready to pay property taxes in Hidalgo County, the following resources will help:
- Hidalgo County Website – County officials post a plethora of information, including relevant tax info.
- Hidalgo County Appraisal District – If you need information about how your property is appraised and valued, the Hidalgo County Appraisal District can provide it.
- Tax Assessor-Collector – The Tax Assessor’s office is where you’ll pay your property taxes, either in person at one of the Edinburg, Texas tax offices, online or by mail.
- Hidalgo County Tax Office – This division of the Tax Assessor-Collector’s office can provide detailed info on Hidalgo County property tax due dates, fees and more
- The Texas Comptroller – If you want facts about state tax law, you can get them from the Texas Comptroller.
Delinquent Property Taxes in Hidalgo County
Like the rest of Texas, tax bills are due by January 31st at the latest. After that, they’ll start to tax delinquent property in Hidalgo County, Texas. When you enter property tax delinquency, the fees, penalties and charges begin to pile up immediately. You’ll continue to accrue debt until you pay off the full amount you owe.
Getting Property Tax Loans in Hidalgo County, Texas
If you need to pay off delinquent property taxes in Hidalgo County, a tax loan is the fastest and easiest way to do it. The first step is finding a qualified lender — luckily, you already have! Tax Ease makes an already easy process even easier. To apply for property tax loans, Hidalgo County, Texas residents will:
- Fill out a simple loan application online.
- Wait for our team to review their property income.
- Work with us to create a payment plan that’s suitable for their budget.
- Close on their loan.
- Have their delinquent property taxes paid in full.